Adsense

Friday, March 6, 2015

Paris, je t'aime Part 1


A few weeks ago, I embarked on a dream trip to France. I had been planning and saving up for this two week adventure that would take me from Paris to Lyon to Nice and then finally, back to Paris. After landing in the Charles de Gualle airport and dropping off my suitcase at the hostel, I took a metro to the world famous Louvre Museum. While in line, I met and talked with four of the friendliest people, which made that hour long wait fly by. Inside, while gazing at masterpieces by Da Vinci, Goya, and Raphael, I felt like Blaire Waldorf, half expecting my prince to show up. Also, I’d have to say that the Mona Lisa was the biggest crowd pleaser, so, of course, I took a selfie. After two hours of immersing myself in art, I went into the Arc de Triumph, where the sunset views of the city were incredible. I ended my first night in the city of lights with two delicious Nutella crepes because one simply could not satisfy my sweet tooth. 
The next day, I went to the Chateau de Versailles. I explored the main palace before heading down to the other end of the estate to see the Grand Trianon, the Petite Trianon, and then Marie Antoinette’s Estate. I can only imagine what it must have been like back then, for royalty to stroll through the giant estate and gardens. I spent a good 4 or 5 hours exploring the grounds and, from time to time, I felt like a princess myself. After Versailles, I waited about an hour in line to enter the Catacombs. This underground cemetery holds the remains of about 6 million people! At Ladurée, I ordered a pistachio pain au chocolate and a praline mille feuille and the whole tea and dessert set up was adorable. The food was incredible as well, especially since I’m normally not a huge fan of pistachio, but now I love it, at least with my pastries. 

The following morning I went to the Notre Dame Cathedral, emblematic for its romantic gothic architectural style. Even though it was raining, I waited in line outside to climb the towers and was rewarded with a beautiful view of the Seine River and the city at the top. Standing alongside my gargoyle friends, I channeled Quasimodo and found a new desire to read Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame. During that first part of my Parisian journey, I saw and learned and lot and couldn’t wait to return, but not before I visited other parts of the magnificent country that is France.

No comments:

Post a Comment